Whidbey Island Grown Week is coming, and with it comes the opportunity to taste the island’s farms, purveyors and get a hands on experience with each.
It kicks off Sept. 29 as a 10-day celebration of local products and experiences offering farm and culinary adventures, including honey tasting and tour at Eckholm Farm, Orchard Kitchen cooking classes featuring local cheesemaker and Penn Cove Shellfish, a salsa making workshop (wondering what to do with all those tomatoes in the garden?) and more. Here are some highlights:
- Sept. 29- Oct 8, Sunday-Fridays, 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Honey tasting and farm tour at Eckholm Farm, this is a rare chance to visit the apiary at Eckholm Farm, located within Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve. Farm owner and honey bee biologist Bruce Eckholm will offer a 1-hour tour of the farm and apiary, including inspection of a live honey bee colony. Protective clothing will be provided. Each tour limited to five participants. Sample this year’s honey crop, and take home a complimentary 1lb jar. Additional jars available for purchase. Fee is $50. Reservations required.
- Sept. 30, Orchard Kitchen’s Cooking Class series host Glendale Shepherd’s Lynn Swanson, Cheese Maker Extraordinaire, who will explain, taste and discuss her cheeses and her journey to becoming an award winning cheese maker.
- Sept. 30, Whidbey Island Cider Festival welcomes craft cidermakers from around the region for sampling and education. Enjoy tastings from top Northwest cideries including Finnriver Farm & Cidery, Alpenfire Cider, Bull Run Cider and others, along with local food pairings and family friendly activities.
- Oct. 1, Salsa Making Workshop with an expert. Louise Holloway-Stanley, a produce and craft vendor at the South Whidbey Tilth market, will conduct a workshop on using the late season produce to make a killer salsa.
- October 7, Orchard Kitchen Cooking Class featuring the Island’s famous Penn Cove Shellfish
Visit whidbeyislandgrown.com for a complete list of events, classes, shopping and tasting opportunities.